I saw gnocchi being made on tv and as the most influenced person on the planet I decided to give it go! (since I love eating it so much lol) I bought a potato ricer or you can just use a normal potato masher and pass it through a sieve. A few key things!
- Use desiree potatoes, skins scrubbed and left on. Dutch creams or kipfler will guarantee success because of the higher starch content but are a bit dearer.
- DO NOT OVER BOIL THE POTATOES!! if the skins crack they will become waterlogged meaning you will need to add more flour which will result in a heavier dough and your dreams of light fluffy pillowy gnocchi shall be diminished (ok tad overdramatic but you get the idea)
- As soon as the gnocchi float to the surface of the water they are done 🙂
- Use as much cheese as you want in the sauce and then season because you should bear in mind that the cheese adds a lot of salt content.
- Get creative! maybe try using a non-tomato based sauce or add chopped spinach to the gnocchi for a different look and taste. the possibilities are endless.
I used Poh Ling Yeow’s recipe which can be found on the SBS website. I found the whole process of making the gnocchi actually incredibly relaxing and de-stressing haha hope you enjoy making and eating it as much as my family and I did!